Wednesday, April 19, 2006

ONE HELL OF A REJECTION

Well, I've been sending out resumes at a decent clip. This also means that I have been getting quite a few rejection letters back. I've gotten the "we'll keep your resume on file for 6 months/one year", "we don't have any openings", for awhile I got quite a few "your credentials are quite impressive, however... " [it's always the however that gets you] and I was prepared for this. A polite acknowledgment that they received my resume is really all I can hope for. I appreciate the gratuitous mini compliments, I'd like to know that my resume garners at least fake accolades. One memorable letter told me that they were not interested in someone with my level of experience and that they wanted to make it clear that "no further consideration will be given to your resume". Well gee, thanks, I guess that clears that up.

The best had to be today's letter. First off the firm opened with "As I am sure you know we are a small firm". Sorry, I don't consider a firm with twenty lawyers and 4 locations "small". It's not huge, but it is certainly not small either. Then they went on to tell me that they don't hire annually, but on an "as needed" basis. Well shucks, ya think?! I knew that. I was hoping they might have a need right now. They don't. The next sentence was "we don't need anyone" and it was phrased just like that! A regular laureate I tell ya. If they were not hiring I expected a polite rejection letter [or in many cases no response at all].

Well I didn't get the polite, flowery language "thanks but no thanks" letter. I got the letter that sounded like it was written by an eighth grader. But it gets better! Included with the letter was my resume and cover letter!! They sent it BACK to me!! Nice. Real nice.

4 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I know. I mostly receive rejection emails, and let me tell you, some of them are just AWFUL.

I guess it must be the marketing person in me - but really, EVERY piece of communication a firm/company sends out is a reflection on them. It's one thing to be considered slightly arrogant; it's quite another to be rude and condescending to a fellow member of the profession. And to send it back - what's up with that?

I'm still rooting for you!!! Go get 'em!!

 
At 1:10 PM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that last place had A LOT of class. Makes you wonder what what they do when they fire some one :)

 
At 10:59 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger TSC Girl said...

Jen, let's hope when they do fire someone they don't do it on a Saturday morning over a cell phone. ;)

 
At 9:41 AM, April 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, NOT going there. Hey I'll be up in NJ come Monday. I'll be there for about 1 1/2. We need to get together for lunch of something! I'm sure Colin would love to meet his Mom's roommate from college.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home