Monday, April 11, 2005

ART, LITERATURE & NYQUIL

OK, So I just downed the nastiness they call Nyquil, but I am hoping this means I actually get some sleep tonight [as opposed to the last 3 or 4]. However, since I posted every day for the past few days I feel obliged to continue on my streak for as long as possible.

Tonight I bring you a taste of the arts. First let me introduce you to my favorite (modern) author, Robert Fulghum
http://www.robertfulghum.com/. He wrote All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten as well as a host of other books that I find fascinating. I highly recommend them all. He is introspective and tends to write essay type chapters on his everyday observations on life. If you don't want to full-on commit to buying one of his books and you're too lazy to go to the library then may I suggest reading some of his online journal entries. Personally, I think his books are just a tad better, but it will certainly give you an inkling of his style.

Robert Fulghum's credo is:

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -
That myth is more potent than history,
I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts -
That hope always triumphs over experience -
That laughter is the only cure for grief.
And I believe that love is stronger than death."

If you are looking for something to make you think, or even just to lift your spirits you won't be disappointed. Go read - you know you want to.

OK, that was literature, now to art. For your viewing pleasure today I give you two artists. The first is someone you undoubedly know, but might not have known he was an artist. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Leonard Nimoy.
http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/index.htm Yes! It turns out that "Mr. Spock" of Star Trek fame is indeed a very talented artist. I was pleasantly surprised at his work and as it turns out he will be showing in NYC this summer. Some of his photos are quite shocking and not the normal subject material you would expect, but all serve as a catalyst for conversation - and isn't that one of the goals of an artist after all?

The next artist is not as well known as Mr. Nimoy, but an up and coming talent nonetheless. Dennis Dipasquale,
http://www.kenazz.com/gallery.html is a friend of mine and quite the photographer. He has had his work displayed at The Well Fed Artist, http://www.wellfedartist.org/ in Philadelphia as well as his own personal site Kenazz. Apparently he is a jack of all trades and has a pretty deep creative streak. Go check out his galleries and his creative services.

Who would have thought when I met him all those years ago in college that he was such a diamond in the rough. If you ask real nice he might even sell you a print. :) [Shameless promotion I know, but if I thought his work sucked I wouldn't bother - trust me it's worth a look.]

That's all for now, the Nyquil is kicking in and mixing with the leftover Claritin in my system. Let's hope for some pleasant dreams tonight ..... Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home