Tuesday, November 13, 2007

R.I.P. WINDOWS 98

After 6 faithful years of service, through law school and job hunting and the bar exam, my laptop has finally died. My internet access outside of work has gone from spotty to non existant - thus why Friday's Feast has been missing. I am in the process of setting up an interim computer.

If anyone knows how to extract data from a laptop that will only boot up in SAFE MODE using a memory stick I would be forever grateful. [The CD ROM is dead and the replacement machine doesn't have a 3.5 drive and the machine won't recognize the USB memory key in Safe Mode, so I stuck.]

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, November 13, 2007, Blogger Brian D. said...

Argh!!!! Cursed laptop. OTOH 6 years out of a laptop is pretty good. I'm there myself sadly.

In Safe Mode does the laptop recognize any USB items like a external hard drive or perhaps just a USB cable going from old laptop to new laptop?

Now this is what I did with my old desktop PC's hard drive. I put the hard drive into a USB external hard drive enclosure. Since the hard drive was okay I pulled the data from that old drive onto my still functioning laptop. If you know some good computer geeks they might have all the parts you need to borrow including an adapter that recognizes the smaller 2.5 inch laptop drives.

Sounds like a lot of work and it was, but it worked fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home