Sunday, March 19, 2006

SALT IN THE WOUND

Having recently found myself temporarily removed from the legal profession, I am scurrying to find another legal job. Then I read an article like this one from the New York Times entitled "Why Do So Few Women Reach the Top of Big Law Firms?" This is so disconcerting. What am I trying to accomplish? I am looking for something in a mid or large firm, because given recent occurrences I want the stability. I am a competitive person by nature [not a rare trait among law school graduates]. Yet, this articles seems to say that the writing is on the wall and glass ceiling is firmly in place. Exactly howcan I hope to improve my current situation if the media is basically telling me I don't have a prayer of reaching my long term goals?

I think the article points out some interesting quagmires, such as how a male boss can ask a young, female associate out for a drink without appearing improper or how a female associate can address her male superiors casually without having is construed as flirting. These are real concerns. A woman trying to break into the good ol' boys network is not news. However, because it is such a large part of how business is done in legal circles it has remained a thorny issue in law firms long after other professions began to examine the same thing back in the 1980's.

I love the law. I have never wanted anything else but to be a lawyer. Many people have told me that given my personality and my strengths it was what I was meant to do. If there is anything such as a "true calling" this is mine. That being said, I really don't want to struggle this hard now, only to find out that I can't get near the brass ring after all, just because of my gender. Who am I? Mary Tyler Moore?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home